Monday, August 19, 2019

Good-bye Minerva Studio


It's a recurring lament, at least once a week, that some longtime NYC business is going under. From giant stores to mom-and-pop shops, high-end restaurants to dive bars and diners, one by one they fall. It's almost always because of the rent.

A week ago I learned that the latest victim was the life drawing studio I've been going to for over 15 years. Maybe longer; I don't remember exactly when I first entered Minerva Durham's studio. It was a cramped, cluttered basement with a small platform surrounded by rickety chairs and tables. There were three drawing sessions a day, strictly scheduled and monitored. Many of the other life drawing classes I've been to are as much social events as drawing sessions, with music and drinks and people socializing as they draw, or pretend to. But this studio was serious. No soundtrack or wine bar, and silent as people worked. Minerva opened the studio almost 30 years ago, and there were some serious old-timer regulars who looked like they'd been drawing there since Day One. The models were usually great, and the atmosphere was quiet, studious, non-judgmental.

I haven't been there as regularly these past few years, but at one time I would go to a session at least once a week. Just a few weeks ago, I was thinking about if I would be able to work some evening classes into my new schedule, and that's when I learned that the studio would be closing on July 31. They are looking for a new, cheaper location. Maybe they'll find it. A few years ago, she was put out of her original Spring Street location, and I figured that was that for the studio, but in fact it did re-open on Broome St. a short time later. So maybe there is hope for a third life.

These are a selection of drawings I did there over the years, somewhat randomly selected. It was a trip looking through my stockpile of drawings, most of which I haven't looked at in years. Some I remember quite well, others I don't remember doing at all. Some made me happy to see how much I've developed, and many made me feel like I haven't improved at all in all these years!

UPDATE: I learned today that they have found a new space on Canal St.! A happy ending after all!



















No comments:

Post a Comment