Friday, December 11, 2015

Leah

It's been a long, long time since I've done any live figure drawing. Spring Street Studios has been my primary spot for many years now, but I haven't been there for many months for various reasons. Recently, I found out via Claudia the model's Museworthy blog that the studio had lost its space. The news made me sad, though I wasn't surprised. It's a daily occurrence these days that some small, long-term business (and many big businesses) loose their leases due to insane rent hikes or planned real estate developments to provide more housing for rich people. Many of the wealthiest areas of Manhattan actually have a form of urban blight, blocks of empty storefronts, not because of failing businesses, but because commercial landlords will rather keep a space vacant, waiting for a bank or high-end retail or something to come along to pay exibortant rents, than keep it occupied by current tenants at a lower rate. So, I was actually surprised that that little drawing studio in SoHo lasted this long.

I had several classes left on my punch card, so I decided I needed to use them before the place was gone by the end of the year. But when I arrived, I heard that they already have another space on Broome St. lined up for the new year. An uncharacteristically happy ending to this type on story.


































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment