Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Met Life Clocktower

The Met Life Tower is a building in the Flatiron District. The tower constructed atop an existing building in 1909 and was the world's tallest building until 1913, when the Woolworth Building surpassed it.

I've probably seen this building from the ground hundreds of times without paying it any special attention, but a few months ago I had a two-day job in a neighboring building. I was working on the 17th floor, and the cafeteria was directly across from the clock on the tower. I was able to hang out for awhile when my work was done to draw them. It was something to see up that close. Each clock is 26.5 feet in diameter, the numbers are four feet tall, and the minute hands weigh half a ton each. It's amazing to see the detail the put into these clocks which are not at all discernible from the ground. The site Scouting NY has a look at the interior of the clock tower and its mechanism.

I did one drawing each day. The second one is much better I think; the first was sort of a warm up.























































No comments:

Post a Comment