Thursday, August 26, 2021

Windsor Terrace Fire Box

I wasn't intending to do a whole series about the Windsor Terrace fire station at the corner of Prospect and Greenwood Avenues, but after posting the last two drawings of the fire house and its truck, and some older drawings of the building, I remembered that I'd done this drawing of a fire alarm post that I never posted. It's located on the corner opposite the fire house.




According to this post on Untapped Cities, at least a third of these emergency boxes don't work, only 2.6% of the calls the FDNY receives come from these boxes, and of those calls, 88% are false alarms. I'm not sure why this particular fire box was located where it is, directly across from a fire house! Mayors Giuliani and Bloomberg made efforts to remove them, but like everything in New York City, the fireboxes have their supporters and they remain.


No comments:

Post a Comment